WANAKI

The EYE of the Hurricane

WANAKI

WANAKI

Hayward Drama Club

A Backstage Perspective
Actors practicing lines.

The 2023 play season is underway! The play this year is a dazzling whodunit known as The Game’s Afoot, and it is destined to be a divine play, producing a multitude of laughs and memories.
In a new look, Mr. Anderson, an English and Speech teacher at the high school, has taken over the job of directing the play. He is assisted by Mr.Viner, a teacher at the middle school. This is their first year since the retirement of the previous director, and they have been doing an excellent job! In the words of Mr. Anderson, “The show must go on!”

This year we have two seniors in the play, and it is both of their second year in drama. Riley Gould plays Darie, and Foster Chaon plays Felix. Riley stated that her favorite thing about this year’s play is, “my character and how fun the play is to perform.” She also said that this year’s play is, “Just a really fun and enjoyable play for all of the cast!” Foster, sharing Riley’s enjoyment of this play season, stated that he adored drama because of how drama gave him the freedom of expression, and loved how, “I can be just super weird, and be me.” Seeing the sense of freedom of unity and self-expression in our Canes is such a beautiful thing to observe!

There will be three opportunities to see the play. The November 3rd and 4th (Friday and Saturday) performances start at 7:00 p.m. while the November 5th (Sunday) performance starts at 1:30 p.m. The production is free to all students, and community members can pay either $5 or receive free admission with the donation of two non-perishables.
The play is set in December of 1936 at William Gillette’s, who is a famed broadway star known for playing Sherlock Holmes, Connecticut home. His guests have gathered for a weekend of Christmas festivity, good cheer, and fellowship. Though, as delightful as this sounds, there is a twist, a dark one, one that needs to be solved by the witful William Gillette. One of his dear guests is stabbed to death! Come see The Game’s Afoot to see William Gillette and his many guests figure out this ominous holiday-themed mystery!