WANAKI

The EYE of the Hurricane

WANAKI

WANAKI

HHS Choirs

Preparing for a busy year!
2023 Honor Choir

In order to give readers some perspective on HHS choirs, we interviewed the director, Mr. DiSera, and two students, Phoenix Rickards, and Moira Euneau. First, we spoke with Mr. DiSera about one big event the choir has this fall, Honor Choir. This prestigious event will be held at the University of Minnesota- Duluth on Monday, October 23rd. Mr. DiSera stated, “Honor Choir is a regional choir festival where directors from other schools pick talented singers to sing together after a full day of rehearsal.” This year, HHS has eight students participating in this event, and they are definitely excited!

In addition to the Honor Choir this fall, the Veteran’s Day concert is coming up on November 9th at 7:00 p.m. Mr. DiSera’s favorite piece of music is called “Normandy” and will be a feature performed by the Mixed Choir at the concert. This concert has a great mix of concert pieces, but also has patriotic themes woven throughout, with the presentation of flags, the Quilt of Valor presentation, a slideshow, and guest speakers. Mr. DiSera stated, “I think we are going to do well, as we are very prepared! We hope you all will join us for the Veterans Day concert!”

Second, we spoke with Phoenix Rickards, a sophomore in Mixed Choir, about what he thought was different from last year’s choir. Rickards stated, “The songs are amped up in difficulty this year.” He also mentioned that the choirs are putting more focus on the music theory aspect of things. There are pros and cons to being in choir. When we asked about it he said that part of the pros are the friends you make, along with the fact that it is a class you work hard in. He also stated that it is a good break in the day from his busy schedule. Some of the cons however were when you get a bad day it can be very hard to focus. In order to have your part assigned, you need to do voice testing to see your range, so we asked how that was compared to last year. He said, “It was easier regarding nerves, and to just get it over with.” Finally, he tells us that the choir community is a very welcoming place despite having those off days.

Lastly, we spoke with Moira Euneau, a junior in Treble Choir, about the same things as Phoenix. In relation to the difference from last year, she said that now that she was an upperclassman a lot of the younger girls look up to her as a role model. We also asked her what some pros and cons of being in choir were. When asked about the pros she said, “It is a fun relaxed class to start the day with,” as well as she enjoys getting to expand her musical intelligence. For the cons, she says it is hard when others don’t pull their weight and put in the effort, and she is expected to know what she is doing even though she may not. Like the Mixed Choir, Treble also does voice testing and we wanted to get Moira’s take on it. She said it was, “Mostly the same, but nerves-wise it was better because I knew the people better.” We then asked her what she thought the choir community was like, she said it is a welcoming, warm, and friendly place. As a final addition question we asked if she had any inspiring words, and she quoted Mr. DiSera and said, “It’s just a mindset.”